Tuesday, May 09, 2006

April 29 Zion National Park

Arrived on Saturday, late afternoon, which is a definite no-no for finding as campsite. The main campground was full so they sent us to the next one down with instructions to ask the camp host for a site large enough for our rig. After looking at 4 we went back to him and he founds us a 5th which turned out to be the best site in the campground. Full sun for our solar power needs and the most incredible view of the mountain/canyon walls. Look for the picture in our blogspot.

Decided to stay out of the crowds on Sunday and Bob readied both bikes for us to use. they have been hanging on the back of the trailer for months. covered in heavy dirt and mine had two flat tires, which needed both tires and tubes., He no sooner got them both done which took half the day but a storm threatened. We buttoned the hatches and went to town for dinner then a drive to the east entrance of Zion through the tunnel, The sun was out in spots and along with the dark storm clouds etc we got some incredible pictures. He drove up and I drove back so we both could do the swivel neck thing.
Monday we took the 9 am ranger guided shuttle. After reaching the end of her talk we boarded another shuttle to the far end of the park. We did the 2 mile Riverside walk. I got bit by little no-seem-ums and have been suffering ever since. We stopped for another short hike to the weeping wall then on to the lodge for a bite of lunch. Tried to hike to the emerald pools but it was getting very hot so headed home. About 5 pm we went to see the IMAX movie on Zion.

Tuesday Bob continued to try to get the internet dish and after a frustrating 2 hours we left to go to Cedar Breaks and Cedar City. We never made it. Stopped at Kanab on the way to pickup all the information Coral Pink Sand Dunes. By this time it was too late to go so headed back to the park via Hurricane. Saw a dirt road "scenic byway" and across it we went toward Zion and home. It was incredibly beautiful. Back on Route 9 we opted for another scenic drive toward Kolub Reservior. Bob drove up to Lava Point as far as the road was open and we hiked to the overlook. I drove back and the sun was setting and lighting the cliffs. It was beautiful.

Wednesday we finally did the trip we planned for yesterday. Turned onto Rt 14 to go to Cedar Breaks and there was a sign saying it was closed. We drove the road anyway and again more scenic sights including lots of snow fields. The pretty Navajo Lake was covered with ice. We continued to Cedar City where we got the truck oiled and lubed then hit Walmart for major groceries. We have decided to eat more at home instead of out. Save on money and pounds.

Thursday we biked for 4 miles along a path following the Virgin River and then thru a campgound. After lunch we took the shuttle to the far end of the park then started to walk back. We were along the river a times and at other times we had to walk on the road. there is no traffic in the park as visitors can only go via shuttles. We walked for about 3 miles. Watched climbers scale the straight up walls. Back at the trailer we packed up and got ready for our next adventure.

No comments: