Thursday, August 27, 2009

More Heron

Went to the Stone Lodge in the morning. While I started the laundry Bob joined Janet & Chuck for a huge cinnamon bun. He gave me two bites. We met a nice couple who have a ranch about 35 miles south of here in the middle of the wilderness. They have invited us to visit them there. Found a geocashe on our way home from getting our twice monthly mail. Dinner back at the Stone Lodge. We toured the Stone House that is there. It was built by the CCC back in 1935. It can be rented for reunions etc. Sleeps 20.

The group went on the Chalma-Toltec Railroad trip one day. It stops at the 1/2 way point at an old depot that serves them lunch. Since we had done the trip several times before we opted to 4 wheel to it and have lunch with them. We arrived at 11:30. Their train was delayed and they didn't get there until 1:15. But we had a good time visiting with them. We geocashed along the route.
We even beat them back home. Joan is waving to us on the right.

One day we went kayaking again on Heron Lake. This time we went to the northern side of it. Came back to the canyon and decided to kayak home. We met Margie and Damon 1/2 way across and gave Margie our keys to bring our car back to the campsite. They had come over from El Vado lake to kayak on our lake. We visited with them when they brought our kayaks back. Bob Google Earthed our route and we had kayaked 5 miles on calm waters. While we were launching I asked the ranger if we HAD to leave after 21 days and he said only if we were in the electric sites. So looks like we can be in paradise for 4 weeks instead of 3. That takes us thru Labor Day.

Sunday the group again went to the all you can eat breakfast buffet. At this rate I will gain all my weight back. Afterwards Bob and I decided to go to Colorado and check out possible places to camp when we leave Heron Lake. First was the town of Pagosa Springs. Very touristy, been there before so opted to head to South Fork. A friend of our's from the Single International Chapter we belong to is staying there along with a few other SI's. We visited with Judy a little bit before she had to go to work at the office. We continued on thru the San Juan Valley to Alamosa where we stopped and stretched by walking all the aisles at the Super Walmart and picking up a few supplies. Headed town Rt 285 to check the pass out on route 64. I drove the Rt 64 portion while Bob had his camera ready for wildlife sitings. Had rain most of the way on that portion of the trip. But we will be leaving via that route.

Three days of staying home followed. Doing a lot of R&R. Reading and Rain.
There was even a beautiful sunset with rainbow.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Seems like you've been at a lot of "paradises" this summer. You should do a book!