Thursday, July 20, 2006

July 13 06 Travelog

We joined a singles gathering. No specific affiliations, just singles. Heard about it on the internet. Knew a few people from other single groups. We visited for 2 days and didn’t go anywhere. Every evening there was bluegrass music by our camp host and a few of the campers here. The park is a Fish/Wildlife park and has 10 sites. We have around 25 rigs here. The hostess lives in the area and arranged things for us to do. A car show on Saturday, afterwards, Bob and I went on a back way home. Found a neat town called Elk River we will have to keep in mind for future camping. Free on a beautiful reservoir.

Sunday, Bob and I booked in for the Hell’s Canyon trip on the Snake River. It is a jet boat ride 108 miles up to the dam. It was 11 hours up and back. We learned the history, saw scenery, wildlife (deer, mountain goats, eagles) and lots of whitewater. We were soaked several times. I was razing the driver as his mother was our neighbor in camp so he said he would get me wet and he did. The river is the border between ID, OR, WA. Bob got to step into all 3 states some for the first time. It is also the deepest canyon in the US but to us the Grand Canyon seems deeper.

Eleven of us on Monday took a drive to Pierce and Weippe. On the way we stopped at an old growth white pine stand. The trees were huge. After a stop in Pierce for lunch we toured a sawmill in Weippe. Fascinating how the logs are cut into rough cut boards. The operators sit in a chair at a control board, site laser beams down the logs/boards and then they are cut.  Bob and I then stopped at the Lewis and Clark Discovery Center. The outside of the building had painted murals of L&C crossing the Bitterroots from Lolo to Lewiston.

About the same number tried out hand at bowling in Orofino on Tuesday afternoon. It was real hot out so the air conditioning was welcomed. The bowling was a hoot to say the least. Most of us hadn’t picked up a ball in over 30 years and could hardly stand up much less bend and toss a ball. My first round score was a total of 28 points. I was getting good at gutter balls. I managed to improve and came up with one strike during the second game. We all were hurting by the end of that round so opted to not go for the third round. Home to Tylenol or what ever else would ease the pain.

Wednesday we went back to Orofino and toured the Dworshak fish hatchery and the dam. Back at the campground it was HOT so we found a cool shaded area, got out the cool drinks and the hot salsa and visited until our camp host and friend got to playing country music. Luckily it always cool down by bedtime and it gets chilly by morning. We will be moving up to Coeur d’ Alene tomorrow.

No comments: