Sunday, February 17, 2008

Fort Myer's/Uncle Walt's

We arrived around noon on Sunday at Uncle Walt's. His daughter and her husband live here also, Sue and Everett. They were out on their airboat in the Everglades when we arrived so we had a nice visit with Uncle Walt. We went to Perkins for lunch. After they came home I set up the rv in their driveway.
We visited all afternoon and into the evening with them and 2 of Bob's cousins Pat and Connie came by also.

The house is located on Hendry Creek, which we will kayak if we find the time. We are just off of Rt 41 above Sanibel Island.

Monday we visited with Uncle Walt in the morning and helped with a jigsaw puzzle. It is warm out and his second floor screened in porch overlooking Hendry Creek is the perfect spot to keep cool. We then visited my friends Howard and LaVie. LaVie was the first person I met in Florida when I started rving 10 years ago. We spent at least 4 of my birthdays together (July 1). They used to work at Bar Harbor at the Narrows campground. They are becoming more stationary now as Howard is getting to where he no longer can travel. After we left them we tried to head for Ft. Myer's Beach but the traffic is horrendous here. We did a u-turn headed home stopping for early dinner and spent the rest of the day visiting with Bob's family.

Tuesday after going to Perkin's for breakfast with Uncle Walt we drove to Naples to Kountry Kampinn where I stayed with my husband Bob 10 years ago. Went to see Phil and Jan Davis who where my neighbors back then.
We then drove to Marco Island which is just a huge city now. At Goodland we had a drink and appetizer at the Little Bar then drove to Chokoloskee. We arrived at Smallwood Museum
just in time to meet some canoers. One of the gentlemen, along with another man, canoed the entire Mississippi River from beginning to end in just 19 days. See his website. On the way back we went thru miles of old Florida preserves stopping at a very upscale community called Coconut Point where the condos start at $600,000. No, we aren't looking to buy anything but there is an Apple Store. The shopping complex had top named stores. Impressive. Out to dinner at Bob Evans almost finished the evening. We bought a whole delicious pie and brought it home for the family to share. Hmmmm.

Wednesday we were picked up by Bob's cousin Pat and her mother Betty and went to lunch. There we met 2 other cousin's and their spouses. Mike & Patty, Jim & Diane. Had a nice time visiting then we were driven around to see some of the old places the family had lived. We ended up at Pat's home, she is very interested in our lifestyle and wanted to find out more. Back at the mh we went up to visit Uncle Walt and we worked on the jigsaw puzzle all afternoon. Sue and Everett came home and we had dinner with them. Home to relax and watch the lunar eclipse. In the morning we were shook by the sonic boom from the shuttle's return so it is fitting we watch the moon eclipse.

Thursday Uncle Walt treated us to breakfast. We then went shopping. Got a new program for the Mac and a new HD Tv. It will have to stay on the bed when we move until Bob can mount it in the overhead cabinet. The TV there will then go into an outside bay. It was 86 when we got home and with the humidity it was miserable. But is was nice and cool on Uncle Walt's back porch so we helped him with the jigsaw puzzle all afternoon.
We never did get to kayak or canoe that beautiful creek. Tides or weather didn't cooperate.
When Everett and Sue came home from work we took everyone to dinner at the Ale House. Delicious seafood.

Friday is moving day. Back north for a bit. Keep Posted.

No comments: